Dependants and family members

EEA and Swiss Nationals
If you are an EEA or Swiss national but you have dependants or family members who are not, they may want to apply for an EEA family permit to come to the UK.  Further information on the requirements for the permit and how to apply can be found on this webpage.

Tier 4 Dependants
The dependants of Tier 4 students are allowed under certain circumstances to apply for a visa to come to the UK.  Unfortunately, none of the University’s current courses meet the requirements for a Dependant visa.  If you would like one of your dependants to come to the UK, they will have to do so as a Visitor.  Please see the next section for further details.

Inviting family or friends to visit you
If you would like a family member or friend to visit you in the UK, they can do so under the Visitor immigration route.  They can come to the UK for up to 6 months in any 12 month period.  Further details on how to come to the UK as a Visitor can be found on this webpage.

You will need to provide your family member / friend with a letter of invitation confirming you are inviting them to visit you, where they will be staying and the duration of their trip.  You can download an example letter of invitation here.

Please remember that Visitors are not allowed to carry out any work (paid or unpaid) in the UK and cannot access the National Health Service (NHS) except in emergencies.  Visitors are also not permitted to make frequent and successive visits to the UK, even if these visits total less than 6 months.

Further information

UK Council for International Student Affairs website