Further studies in the UK

Tier 4 Students

If you are a Tier 4 Student and would like to study another course in the UK (either at the University or another institution), you must apply for a new Tier 4 Student visa. You cannot enrol or start studying a new course on your existing visa, even if it is still valid when the new course starts.  

If you will be studying your new course at the University of Law, you will need a new CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) from us. You will be asked to complete a Visa Requirements Form after you accept your offer for the new course and this will start the process to receive a CAS. You can find further information on how to receive a CAS on the Visa Requirements page.

You may be able to apply for your new visa in the UK and this means you can start your new course while your application is being considered by the Home Office. This is subject to the following:

  • You have current leave visa in Tier 4 (General), Tier 4 (Child), Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) or Tier 2; and
  • You submit your new Tier 4 application before your current visa expires; and
  • You meet the Home Office rules on Academic Progression (please see our Visa Requirements page for further guidance on Academic Progression).

If you do not meet all of these requirements, you must apply for your new Tier 4 Student visa in your country of nationality.  

The rules on Academic Progression mean that you cannot apply for your new Tier 4 Student visa, unless you have successfully completed (achieved the award) for your current / previous course. You must submit the award certificate or final transcript for your current / previous course with your new visa application, otherwise it will be refused by the Home Office.  

Please remember that you must leave the UK or apply for new leave to remain before your current visa expires. Otherwise, you will become an overstayer. This means any visa application you submit will be automatically refused and/or you could receive a ban from entering the UK.  

Other Visa Holders

You can study another course in the UK, provided that your immigration permission / visa is still valid when you will be starting your new course. If you will be studying your new course at the University, you may be asked to provide your immigration documents again to confirm you still hold the right to study.

If you have any questions about studying a new course in the UK, please write to visaoffice@law.ac.uk