Resit exams

If you want to come to the UK to attend resit exams but your visa has expired, you will need to return as a Short Term Student.  The process you need to follow depends on whether you are a Visa National or Non-Visa National.  You can find a list of Visa National countries here. If your country is not on this list, you are a Non-Visa National.

If you are from a Visa National country, you must apply for a Short Term Study visa before travelling to the UK.  You can find further information on how to apply in your country on this webpage.  The visa application fee is £97 in local currency and you will need to submit the following documents with your application:

  • Passport
  • 2 UK passport sized colour photographs
  • Evidence that you have sufficient funds for your visit (we recommend you have sufficient funds for at least 3 months even if your visit is shorter).
  • Proof that you intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit (for e.g. your return flight details).
  • Evidence of where you will be staying in the UK (for e.g. hotel reservation).

If you are from a Non-Visa National country, you do not need to apply for a visa in advance, but can request entry as a Short Term Student when you arrive.  However, it is very important that you do not enter the UK as a Visitor (tourist), as you will not be allowed to attend your resit exams.

Whether you are a Visa National or Non-Visa National, you will need a Short Term Study letter from the University.  You can request this letter by writing to after you have received confirmation that you have been registered for your resit exams.  Visa Nationals should include this letter with their visa application and Non-Visa Nationals should present it to the Immigration Officer when they arrive in the UK.

Please note that we cannot issue you a letter including resit exams which are being held in the future, but you have not registered for yet.

You should also note the following important information about the Short-Term Student route:

  • The Home Office expects you to be coming to the UK just before your resit exams.  We recommend that make plans to come to the UK a maximum of seven days before your first exam and declare this on your application.
  • You cannot submit an application stating that you need to be allowed entry before your resit exams for revision purposes or to access university facilities.  This may lead to a visa refusal.
  • You are also expected to leave the UK within 30 days of taking your resit exams, even if your Short-Term Study visa is valid for longer.
  • If there is a gap of more than 30 days between your resit exams, you should leave the UK and then return seven days before your next exam (Non-Visa Nationals) or apply for a new Short-Term Study visa in your home country (Visa Nationals).
  • If you are coming to the UK for another purpose in addition to attending resit exams, please write to for further guidance.


Information for Tier 4 Students

Unfortunately, the University cannot sponsor students to extend their Tier 4 Student visa to attend resit exams.  This is because the Home Office says we can only sponsor a visa extension if the student is “in attendance”; actively attending learning sessions at the University.  Accessing university facilities or meeting with academic staff for revision purposes are not considered to be in attendance.

If you have resit exams that take place after your Tier 4 Student visa expires, you should make arrangements to leave the UK as soon as you are notified that you have resit exams.  You will then need to return as a Short-Term Student.

We do not recommend that Non-Visa Nationals attempt to re-enter the UK as a Short-Term Student immediately after their Tier 4 visa expires.  UK Border Control may refuse you entry on the basis that you are trying to re-enter the UK without using the correct immigration route for students.